Friday, June 22, 2012

And... Gippal is up to Bat


The cape is obviously the hardest part of this costume, ergo we decided to start with this first. Although it's not all the way done (still needs some minor gluing), it was a lot of work and has taken me nearly two weeks with enough hands to feed an army helping.


Wonderful signs I made to keep everyone organized. :D And I'm kind of using them as transitions, on Facebook as well as here.


I don't know why blogger is making me do this weird formatting instead of just putting them side by side like normal people but... whatever.









Um. We traced and measured out the stripes and originally didn't taper the stripes to fit the cape, despite niki's warnings. We obviously had to re-do them, and with this measured and remeasured the stripes. 






I fastened the cape with paper clips while we measured the stripes out, they kind of provided the needed support to actually visualize the thing. The cape itself is made out of a really thin poster board that I then covered in fabric via hot glue because the sewing machine has one hell-of-a-time going through all the fabric and poster board. Burnt a lot of my fingers that way. I told Gippal he wasn't allowed in any hallway contests <<;




Tried 3 million different things, and then decided on this rope which I can't for the life of me remember the measurements of it. However, it was cheap (.50 a yard), and then I used quilter's tape to put around it, which was 2.99 for 3 yards. Cutting the quilter's tape down the middle hot dog style, i made double use of it, and ended up with pretty decently cheap and good looking lining. (unless you look at the back of anything of course).








Mom was nice enough to then sew this around each and every little stripe, and the along the sides of the collar itself, which had to be hand sewn back down later on, just because some of the sewing machine stitches ended up popping out.



Stole one of Niki's ideas to make these little square pieces that go on the ends. Pierced brads through squares that measured a little less than 2x2. Made a pattern piece and then poked each piece individually to ensure that they all looked perfect.







And then I painted them grey! :D With some awesome 20 for one dollar brushes that I got on sale at Michaels. The paint doesn't stick well on the brads but I figure that's Sam's problem to figure out <<; Unless someone has a suggestion?







They just need to be put on their respected stripes now, except I'm out of fabric glue and I think that it'll work better than my magical hot glue gun. Disregard the fact that this square isn't perfectly placed on the stripe. <<; On to the grommets!!! :D And that is exactly what they are. We tried for like a week to find the perfect sized circles, only to find out that curtains have giant hoops on them as well...




Well, they're called grommets. And unfortunately you can't buy them in sets of two. So this was i think 8, can't read the package because i'm slightly blind right now. but it was a whopping 12.99, which I payed for with a 50% off coupon. The people at these stores must hate me.










This is the final result. Although, it needs some gluing. Don't look at the inside please...

No comments:

Post a Comment