Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Stud muffin.

Niki / Paine / AzureStarlight / Azure here, for the first time in far too long. xP

This is what I've been up to. I managed to figure out a pattern of sorts for my little capelet. While I'm sure Paine's capelet is actually one piece of fabric folded over, I've decided to go ahead and simply sew two pieces together, so that way the wrong side of the pleather won't show. Also, it should make it easier to wear.

So I cut some of the pleather so I could start on that when I have a chance, and decided to go ahead and start on all of my little "metal" studs for the bottom layer of the capelet. Here's the deal with those. I spoke to the creator of the Paine cosplay I found the most impressive on cosplay.com, and she let me in on a little secret. She simply cut inch by inch squares of craft foam, punched through them with brads, and spray-painted them silver. I couldn't even tell it wasn't metal, in all of the photos I looked through. The only problem I could see with hers was that some of the studs had a tendency to rotate, because she actually punched through the material of the capelet with the brads, and that was how she attached them. While I might go ahead and do that, I think I'm going to secure the studs further on the back side of the material so that they won't rotate. Micah's momma found the brads I want, by chance, so once I get those from her, I'll be ready to punch them through the foam and get to painting.  :3

Here are some photos I took while working on the studs.  :)


I think it looks like a miniature bookshelf all stacked like this.  :3


DOMINOOOOOO


My scissors are all jacked up from all the crazy art projects I've subjected them to... xP


The squares are all one inch by one inch. Some are a little off, just because the dimensions of the foam sheets unfortunately weren't as precise as they claimed to be.



What will probably come next in my series of cosplay things to do is to actually go ahead and sew up the capelet. I'm still in the process of losing some weight, so I want to wait to make my shorts and leggings, since those will also be made of pleather. But I think that the capelet shouldn't change much even if I lose some weight before Otakon. I can't decide if I would rather sew the seams to the bottom, stud-filled piece, then attach the studs, and THEN sew it to the top, or if I should just do all the sewing in one go and then attach all the little studs.

Things I still need to do (mostly once money permits):
-buy boots
-order contacts
-make shorts
-make leggings
-make suspenders (buy red pleather)
-make/put together belts
-make five million little decoration-y thingies
-pretend sword doesn't exist

I will give another update with photos soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment