Sunday, April 20, 2014

Awesome-con: First impressions, convention experience, and all that Jazz

Awesome-con is a convention that's held in the Washington Convention Center which is steadily growing in size. Apparently last year it was about the size of a high school gym, and this year i would say it easily rivaled a professional football field. Keep in mind, this convention is about 30 m away from my house, and pretty easily accessible by metro-- so why wouldn't I go?

A lot of people have complained about lines. I mean there were lines, but if you've been to Otakon, these lines looked like child's play. There was a lack of organization to the staff which is pretty understandable for any new con, and i think they just weren't prepared for the turnout that ended up happening. So those are the bad things about it, plus it all being crammed into one room, which again i think will change as the con evolves and the con changes but all in all I liked it.

I've never been to a comic book convention. I've always fully exploited the manga/anime convention scene and I got to tell you, it's a lot of the same thing. It's amazing how much our conventions overlap and i think i'm going to be going to a lot more comic book conventions. In fact, I've added a couple more comic book characters to my must cosplay list so keep an eye on that.

I wish that there was more to do. I felt like the panels-- if they weren't Q and A, or they weren't cosplay speed dating, they were just boring. There was like nothing that was not boring. I think that convention planners should really encourage average janes to have panels because sometimes those are the funnest. You don't know what people have to offer until they've tried it, and there's a lot of people that live around here that have done some epic panels.

I really enjoyed meeting people from this area. Sometimes at larger conventions, you don't get to go up to Ani-mia or Soni Aralynn but here we were on a first name basis [okay not really but you get the gist]. I got to meet people that I never imagined i could meet that weren't even on the guest list. It also brought a lot of photographers from the area which I also didn't know existed and the only thing I wish for is a secretary to organize my business cards and make sure that I keep up with and message every single one of you individually.

In fact, if you're a photographer in this area and you don't get a message from me, assume something's wrong and send one to me.

I think that if you're within like a two hour radius of this con, you should give it a shot. If you're not part of the DMV, find your respected comic-con and go there, because ya'll comic con attendees have proved one thing to me and that's your heart <3 br="">
Happy Cosplay
Sugar Blossom Cosplay

No comments:

Post a Comment